After turning into the 10th state to legalize leisure cannabis in November 2018, Michigan’s marijuana market is heating up. Sufferers throughout the Nice Lake State are acquiring their medical marijuana playing cards whereas authorities regulators are busily drafting the guidelines for the leisure cannabis market, slated to open January 1, 2020.
Michigan’s Division of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) is the company in command of issuing licenses to cannabis operators. Presently, retail licenses are solely obtainable for medical marijuana dispensaries, which in Michigan are referred to as “provisioning facilities.”
Beneath Michigan’s marijuana dispensary legal guidelines, LARA should start accepting functions for leisure cannabis retail licenses no later than December 6, 2019. Nevertheless, the laws additionally states that solely these already licensed to promote medical marijuana can be approved to use for a leisure retail license; this stipulation will stay in impact for the primary two years of leisure cannabis retail licensing.
Beneath, we’ve laid out the steps you’ll must observe to apply for a cannabis retail license in Michigan.
The right way to Apply for a Michigan Medical Marijuana Dispensary License
To be able to receive a medical marijuana provisioning heart license, candidates should observe a two-step course of.
Step 1: Pre-Qualification
Step one within the course of is pre-qualification, which includes a full background investigation of all people related to the appliance.
- The pre-qualification course of begins by submitting an Entity/Particular person Pre-qualification Packet (EIPP). This packet should embody a passport-quality photograph, a duplicate of your government-issued ID, and all different supporting documentation listed within the EIPP doc guidelines.
- Within the EIPP, point out that you’re making use of for a medical marijuana provisioning heart license, and fill out all required private and enterprise info. You’ll even be required to signal and notarize a number of attestations and authorizations.
- All people listed within the EIPP should compile their Supplemental Applicant Pre-qualification Packet (SAPP) for submission with the EIPP.
- After getting accomplished the EIPP and picked up all required documentation together with SAPPs for all people related along with your software, submit your pre-qualification packet both in particular person, by mail, or by LARA’s on-line software portal. Additionally, you will be required to submit the non-refundable software price of $6,000 at the moment.
In spite of everything background checks have been accomplished and your documentation has been processed and accredited, you’ll be eligible to maneuver on to the second step within the licensing course of.
Step 2: License Software
Within the license software part, you’ll submit info and documentation associated to the particular kind of marijuana facility for which you might be making use of — on this case, a provisioning heart.
- To finish the marijuana facility licensing software, you’ll be required to supply the identical private/demographic info you submitted in the course of the pre-qualification part, together with info relating to the municipality wherein you’ll function and different enterprise specs.
- Enterprise specs embody:
- After finishing all sections of the marijuana facility license software and compiling all required documentation, submit the appliance packet on-line, in particular person, or by way of mail.
As soon as your software has been accredited, you can be required to pay the annual regulatory evaluation earlier than your license can be issued. The quantity of the regulatory evaluation has not but been decided; nonetheless, LARA has said that the price might be as little as $10,000 or as excessive $66,000, relying on the entire variety of licenses issued.
For extra info, take a look at our Michigan medical marijuana legal guidelines web page; we’ll be updating it usually as extra info turns into obtainable.
Keep Up-To-Date on the Hashish Retail Business
Get cannabis retail information, suggestions, and greatest practices delivered straight to your inbox — join our free publication right now!