Have you ever taken a whiff of some Lemon OG and asked oneself how these dense green nuggets of ganja smell like lemon Pledge? That is the limonene you’re smelling.
If you are currently familiar with terpenes, really feel totally free to skip onto the subsequent section. If you are a terpene newbie, prepare to have your thoughts blown. We’ll start out with the Merriam-Webster dictionary definition, and go from there:
Terpene |noun|ter∙pene| ˈtər-ˌpēn : any of a variety of isomeric hydrocarbons C10H16 found present in vital oils (as from conifers) and applied specially as solvents and in organic synthesis broadly : any of several hydrocarbons (CfiveHeight) located specially in vital oils, resins, and balsams
In case you do not have a PhD in chemistry, terpenes are aromatic compounds that give plants like cannabis their smell. To be clear – by no signifies are terpenes just located in cannabis plants. They are present in all sorts of plants, fruits, herbs and much more.
Fundamentals of Limonene
Limonene, one particular of the most normally applied terpenes in flavorings and household cleaners, is a naturally-occurring hydrocarbon that smells specifically like you feel it would – lemony.
Generally located in citrus peels, citrus lotions and much more, limonene has grow to be recognized for far much more than its presence in pot.
Possible Well being Rewards of Limonene
There’s no proof that any of these rewards survive the combustion approach, but limonene supplements are normally taken for a handful of motives.
Just one particular of the many rewards of limonene, its anti-inflammatory properties can advantage anybody as a component of their common well being regimen. Though numerous unique nutrients are recognized for fighting inflammation, limonene is affordable, abundant, and normally overlooked.
Connected: Why Are Cannabis Terpenes So Quite Significant?
Anxiety can be brought on by pretty much something, but limonene has been shown to support fight it in one particular massive way. By assisting to combat rising cortisol levels, limonene can supply your physique a enhance when it comes to thwarting anxiety.
Considering the fact that some digestion challenges are brought on by too considerably bacteria, numerous turn to limonene as it is recognized for its anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.
Breast Cancer Fighter
This could sound crazy, but a 2013 study by The University of Arizona Cancer Center showed that girls with breast cancer taking 2 grams of limonene everyday for two to six weeks resulted in a “22% reduction in cyclin D1 expression” and “reduced cell proliferation.” Primarily, limonene shows significant guarantee when it comes to the prevention and remedy of breast cancer.
Marijuana Strains Highest in Limonene
Provided the widespread prevalence of hybrid marijuana strains, trace amounts of limonene can be located in dozens of strains. Some of the cannabis strains that have grow to be recognized for obtaining the highest concentration contain:
Strains with Citrus Names
- Super Lemon Haze – A hybrid in between Lemon Skunk and Super Silver Haze, Super Lemon Haze is recognized by cannaseurs for its potent lemony scent.
- Lemon Kush – Normally thought of to be a generalized name for a number of lemony strains, Lemon Kush has compact buds but packs a massive punch.
- Lemon Diesel – Though this strain sounds like a cross between Lemon Skunk and Sour Diesel, its actually a “potent offspring of California Sour and Lost Coast OG.”
- Orange Kush – A 50/50 split between indica and sativa, Orange Kush is a hybrid you will 50% adore for its uplifting aroma, and 50% hate for its tendancy to cause couchlock.
- Agent Orange – Named immediately after the poisonous Vietnam-era defoliant, be warned that even though Agent Orange smells like a juicy orange peel, just a couple puffs will lead you to cotton mouth.
- and more…
Other Strains Exceptionally Higher in Limonene
- Durban Poison – Sweeter than it sounds, Durban Poison mixes citrus aromas with the sweet scent of anise.
- Jack Herer – A legendary strain named immediately after a legendary cannabis activist, Jack Herer is one particular strain every single cannabis customer need to attempt prior to kicking the bucket.
- Berry White – The anxiety-relieving indica-dominant hybrid recognized for its blueish colour and its vibrant orange hairs, a nugget of Berry White is 100% Instagram worthy.
Dangers of Limonene
In spite of limonene becoming a naturally-occurring compound, there are some dangers connected with the citrus-scented terpene.
Initial and foremost, limonene allergies are quite common. If you are allergic to citrus peels, citrus fragrances, or citrus cosmetics, you are likely far better off steering clear of the strains listed above.
Connected: A Primer On The Science Of Cannabis Terpenes And Cannabinoids
Also, upon storage and exposure to sunlight and air, limonene breaks down into a variety of “oxidation products” which act as skin, eye, and respiratory irritants.
Though this mainly applies to the rampant use of limonene in cosmetics and skincare goods, it also applies to these operating in the extraction business enterprise. With the E.U. warning that there are “occupational hazards” associated to handling limonene, it is no laughing matter.
Final, but surely not least, a 1977 study on animals showed that higher doses of limonene can result in fetal improvement effects.
All in all, the typical cannabis customer does not need to have to be concerned about the dangers effects of limonene. Nonetheless, these operating in cannabis extraction labs need to be cautious when operating with bulk amounts of limonene.
This report initially appeared on Everyday Marijuana Observer.