On Wednesday, Albuquerque investigators announced that they had determined what sparked a fire final month at New Mexico’s National Hispanic Cultural Center: an overnight safety guard and his buddy accidentally began the blaze by smoking a fake joint.
The guard, Matthew Luxon, and his buddy, Lyle Thompson, employed bar receipts as rolling papers. Rather of cannabis, they employed “actual weeds,” wrote KOB4 News.
Investigators mentioned the fire began whilst the two guys took selfies with the faux doob. Immediately after lighting it up, 1 of the guys dropped the burning joint through a coughing match. The fire tripped an alarm, alerting Luxon’s safety organization.
Allegedly, Luxon lied to his employers and told them nothing at all was incorrect. Then he and Thompson left the scene whilst the emergency sprinklers ran for 4 hours.
Albuquerque police charged each guys with negligent arson and conspiracy. Luxon caught an more charge for tampering with proof.
Initially, the estimated price for repairing the damages sat at half a million dollars. But an updated estimate locations that price closer to $1.five million.
That is 1 highly-priced selfie. Pricier than a Banksy, even.
Comply with Randy Robinson on Twitter